Friday, September 23, 2011

How would I go about starting the foreign exchange student process?

I have recently been considering becoming a foreign exchange student next year. I am a sophomore in high school in the U.S. and think it would be an amazing experience to have. I would prefer to go to an English speaking country and live with a host family, but I also think it would be cool to learn a new language. Any suggestions on where I should start my search? I have looked at many, many web sites, but just don't know where to start! It's a little over whelming to say the least. Any advice?How would I go about starting the foreign exchange student process?Hi,



One piece of advice you got up here was good -- you need to hurry if you want to go next year! Many programs have already closed applications or will soon be doing so.



Which brings me to selecting your program. First, make sure it's on the CSIET list (www.csiet.org). Also, check with your school counselor to see what he/she recommends. A program is only as good as its local representative. Generally, AFS, Aspect, Rotary, and YFU are reliable everywhere.



All of these programs place you with a host family.



About your country, one of the biggest benefits of an exchange years is language immersion! Take advantage of that and go where you will learn one!



You might also visit this on-line community http://www.exchangestudentworld.com/ for more hints and advice.How would I go about starting the foreign exchange student process?Talk to your school counselor they can guide you into a proper program!How would I go about starting the foreign exchange student process?AFS.ORG i went abroad with them to denmark and hosted 4 students also volunteered with them theyre one of the better known organizations around the worldHow would I go about starting the foreign exchange student process?Check out this study abroad directory. It's got a list of the reputable study abroad programs such as EF, AFS and more. Check out those programs and see which one offers the features that you are looking for. I would strongly recommend that you choose a non-English speaking country. You will learn so much more and will be able to speak fluently in another language. Here is the link: http://www.macquil.com/abroad.php



Also, check out this article that lists the steps you should take in order to study in another country:



http://www.macquil.com/articles/study_ov



Good luck! :)How would I go about starting the foreign exchange student process?To become an exchange student this coming Fall, most programs are already full, and especially for English speaking areas like Australia, New Zealand, and England. Plus your cutting close to the deadline in most programs. I would suggest going next year. (I will be going in 2009 through AFS).



Like you, I started off wanting to go to a country that spoke english, especially Australia and New Zealand! But then I realized that there are SO many countries out there and I shouldn't limit myself to just english speaking places. Learning a new language would be cool, and make the exchange more worth while.



Some websites you should look at are:



http://www.usa.afs.org/usa_en/focus_on/h

http://www.asse.com/United_States/index.

http://www.intraxstudyabroad.com/

http://www.yfu-usa.org/



I would highly recommend going through AFS (the first link), because it's the most reliable program.



If you need anymore help, feel free to email me. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment