Friday, September 23, 2011

How can I become a foreign exchange student?

We have some foreign exchange kids from Germany at our (American) school, and they're always saying how fun it is. So I looked some stuff up and it looks really really really fun, but I couldn't find out how to get involved in it? Does anyone know?How can I become a foreign exchange student?Being an exchange student is an experience unlike any other!

I have so much I would like to write - I hope I can get it all in here!

I am a 5-time host mom and new volunteer with Youth For Understanding (YFU). Please forgive my bias towards YFU - when I have asked other exchange students why they chose YFU, they said they did some research and YFU (basically) gave them more bang for their buck. I'll say more about YFU later.

Obviously you have completed the first step to becoming an exchange student - giving it some good thought. Hopefully you have spoken with your parents and teachers as well. A universal (as far as I know) requirement for being an exchange student is that you are between the ages of 15 and 18.5 at the time of the exchange. YFU (and possibly other organizations) offers a %26quot;gap%26quot; or 13th-year program for newly-graduated students in addition to the standard programs.

I would advise the next step to be researching and choosing an organization with which to travel. My biggest piece of advice is to choose an organization listed with the Council for Standards on International Exchange Travel (csiet.org). They routinely audit programs to help insure quality. Here is where my bias will show: I highly recommend YFU. As with many other programs, YFU screens the host families for safety and appropriateness for each student (for example, if you believe it is morally wrong to kill animals for the purpose of eating them, they will do their best to not place you with a cattle rancher). Each student will have a local volunteer and a national office whose purpose it is to assist the student and family, whether there are difficulties with language, adaptation, or money. (Speaking of money, 95% of the fees collected by YFU go for direct program costs (airline ticket, etc.) and only 5% is for overhead.) I've listed some sources below. Check them out. The website (yfu-usa.org) has a wealth of information on it, including stories from previous exchange students and an opportunity to contact their parents.

Next (or at the same time) I would suggest choosing the country to which you wish to travel. Again, the website has a wealth of information. You can find out which countries require that you know their language (there are a half-dozen students here in Cheyenne who have gone on summer programs to Japan without knowing a single word of Japanese), which countries have %26quot;special programs%26quot; (for example, you can go to Hungary to study music for a year), and (the first thing your parents will probably ask) the cost of the programs.

There is an application packet. Most of this can be done online, over the phone, or by fax/email. Please be honest on the application - for example, if you are allergic to cats, say so. After this, you will have an in-person interview. I have been the interviewer for this - it's not an interrogation; we just want to make sure we can find a good host family for you.

You can also apply for scholarships. With YFU, in a typical year 500 students go overseas for year, semester, or summer programs. 300 will have either a partial or full scholarship. Some of the scholarships heavily consider financial need; some heavily consider academics. (As a note, if your family hosts an exchange student before you leave, you will get a %26quot;price break%26quot;.)

All students with YFU must have a 2.0 (on 4.0 scale) for summer programs and 3.0 for semester and year programs. The primary reason for this is so that struggling students won't lose precious time at school. Also, after the student goes overseas, they will be attending school and must maintain decent grades (I apologize, I do not know the specifics).

Check out the website, do a little research, and talk to your teachers.

I wish you luck no matter what you choose!

Feel free to email me.How can I become a foreign exchange student?First, you will need to decide which country you want to go to. Are you learning a second language? If you are only currently speaking English, you'll first need to study a certain language before going somewhere.



Once you get that step down, ask a language teacher or your school some opportunities. My sister asked her French teacher what programs were available and was given the names of three programs. She looked at the dates, the cost, and the other key details before approaching my parents and telling them which one was the best deal and and the safest.



Once your parents coordinate your transportation and other details, everything is easy. Another option is to have a foreign exchanged student come to your house and stay with you. A couple of years ago we took in a French Exchanged Student and she was a very nice person. She helped my sister learn the language better. The next summer, she returned with her family, and we all enjoyed having them. Next summer they have invited my family to France.



Good luck and I hope I helped!

No comments:

Post a Comment