Wednesday, November 24, 2010

How do i become a exchange student from US to Deutschland?

How can I become a exchange student to Deutschland. Do they have any like summer exchange things were I wouldn't do school? How much would it cost?How do i become a exchange student from US to Deutschland?If I may, I would like to cast a vote for Youth For Understanding (YFU). I am a 5-time host mom and volunteer with YFU. When I have asked exchange students why they chose YFU, I get the following answers: (1) YFU gave them more bang for their buck and/or (2) someone they knew and trusted recommended YFU. 95% of the fees collected by YFU go for direct program costs (airline tickets, support in hosting country, etc.). YFU has been around for 59 years and has learned how to make exchanges successful.



Which ever program you choose, make sure they are listed with the Council for Standards on International Educational Travel (csiet.org). They routinely audit programs for quality.



YFU does have summer (6-week) programs to Germany. (http://yfuusa.org/countries/germany-14-p This is from the website:

%26quot;Summer Program

Discover Germany

Learn about German life, people, and language while you live with a German host family for six weeks. You will hear German being spoken by native speakers and get a real taste of what it is like to live in Germany. Upon your arrival, there is a three-day welcome orientation, where you will learn about basics of day-to-day living in Germany. You will also attend a farewell seminar in Berlin at the end of your stay.

During your stay, you will be offered the opportunity to participate in an optional %26quot;culture trek%26quot; for a modest fee (Euro 100-200). This cultural expedition will be offered for travel to cities such as Munich, Dresden, Heidelberg, or Hamburg and are generally three days in length.%26quot;



The cost is about $6500. This is quite an investment, but you will get your money's worth. There are also some scholarships available, but most are for semester or year programs.



I hope this helps. I have a connection to Germany as one of my kids (to my husband and I he's our son, to the rest of the world he's a former exchange student) is from Germany.



Good luck to you no matter what you choose! I would encourage you to consider a longer program - Germany does not require previous language study.

No comments:

Post a Comment