Wednesday, November 24, 2010

How do i become a foreign exchange student?

I live in Texas and I want to become an exchange student in London, but I'mm a little confused. I want to know where do I sign up at, or if I even need to sign up? I want to know the circumstances of being an exchange student. What web site should i look at?

Please if you have any information about this, please answer.How do i become a foreign exchange student?Wow! A lot of questions. My answer applies to high school students, not university studentts.



OK, first, most programs will ask for top three country choices, few to none will guarantee a particular city. I actually would recommend you NOT studying in England however. Not that I have anything against England, it's just that one of the biggest benefits of an exchange is the language immersion.



Having said that, the next thing to do is find a program. There are hundreds of them and many are not particularly good. Make sure any program you look at is CSIET listed (www.csiet.org). That will give it at least SOME oversight. However, that's still over 100.



Talk to your school counselor for a recommendation. Chances are they've worked with exchange students in your school. The premier programs are AFS, YFU and Rotary. Any of those will do well by you.



If you'd like to get a feel for what being an exchange student is all about, check out this place: http://www.exchangestudentworld.com/

It's an online forum for exchange students and also an information center.



Good luck!How do i become a foreign exchange student?Make sure to check out a few programs. The CSIET is a good place to start, and while my husband liked YFU, we weren't real excited with AFS. We got a student through them without being checked first only because we had a student with us at that time, and the girls were friends. Just do your checks.

Report Abuse

No comments:

Post a Comment